Monday, May 21, 2012

Stick No Bills Please!


Stick No Bills Please!


Gurdip Singh Bhamra
Mob: 9878961218

The other day I was watching a popular news channel, which claims to have highest TRP, I was surprised to watch its transmission for a couple of hours and could not decide what I was made to watch, advertisements or information.

The ratio between ad content and news content seems to swing between 80 and 20. It is 80% advertisements and only 20% news content. They break the transmission even the news content in very small bits and force us to watch the unwanted commercial content. They call it commercial break. One has to tolerate a lot of commercial breaks to gather a few bits of information. I was at my nerves ends and I changed the between various channels only to find the similar state of affairs running everywhere.
Who pays for the transmission in my home? Is it the advertisers or the transmission channels? None of them comes to my rescue when paying for the bills. I pay for the gadgets and have paid towards the installation of all of them. I pay a monthly amount to the channel operator against which he allows me to watch all this. I pay to the power company to energise the transmission.

On the other hand the company gets revenue not only from the subscriptions but also from the advertisements and commercial sponsors. The cable operator pays to the channel owners as all these channels are paid channels. He sells the transmission to me. Thus money changes hands in a chain of network and both the cable operator and the channel owner make quick buck.
Notwithstanding the quick buck there is hardly any authority to fix the responsibility and check the transmission and issue guidelines. At most of the places where I as a consumer raise my finger, my objects are rebuffed with a one line code that the transmission is beyond their thumb of control. We had to watch substandard stuff, full of foul language and advertisements that make false claims and are based on the pseudo knowledge. This has allowed many babas vomiting out dirty stuff infecting mind and brain both.

Television and its transmissions have lost their credibility and in the absence of stated owned media with authentic information and news, we as consumers and public always remain at risk of losing the balance of mind.
No code has become the code of day and chaos has become as the order of the day. No morality is the morality our time and the state of lassitude have prevailed all around. Is this all the government wanted to deliver in the name of good governance? I stand at my toes to invoke and proclaim my right with very bold words, to make everybody read what goes in my mind:  STICK NO BILLS PLEASE.

No comments:

Post a Comment